Sunday, October 17, 2010

Go for the Glow - a four-part primer for luminous skin

Part 1
I have not always loved my skin. When I was younger I wanted it tanner, then paler. I was always searching for something to mask the redness in my skin. One day, a woman said to me "Aren't you lucky you have a pink complexion - you don't need to wear blush." And there it is. Often the things we hate about our bodies, hair, skin are the very things others covet. While I never found the right product for masking redness, I did learn the way to make the most of the skin I have.
Women have been asking me to reveal how to get their skin radiant. So I am gonna break it down into four parts: cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize and makeup.
The first and second steps can be combined into one, but this gets tricky sometimes as what is good for exfoliating is not safe for the eye area. So, you are going to need a good cleanser for getting rid of dirt and makeup. You can incorporate exfoliation at this point with a damp washcloth. I like Purity by Philosophy, $25 from QVC and Aveeno Active Naturals Positively Ageless Exfoliating cleanser, about $10 at drugstores. Burt's Bees has a nice cleanser which is also cruelty free, Radiance Cleanser $10 at Wegmans. It has jojoba beads and fruit acids for exfoliation. The only problem I have with Burt's Bees it can sometimes be too oily, so be careful if that is an issue for you. If you are a soap girl, try Pears, the world's oldest soap. I get it from the dollar store. It used to be made in England, but now is made under license in India. I love it because it is hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic (won't block pores), and it reminds me of my grandparents in England. I keep a bar in my shower and at the sink.
Remove eye makeup with a gentle makeup remover, wet your face and then apply the cleanser all over - rubbing it into your skin with circular movements, rinse well and pat dry. You will then be ready to exfoliate further or apply moisturizer.

Next time - dead, dull skin be gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment